Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The System

     Many of us are just realizing that we could have achieved so much more than we did throughout high school and when we make this realization unfortunately we do not know exactly how to respond to it. We have realized that maybe if we had paid more attention in our classes our freshmen and sophomore years, we would not be in the positions we are now. 
    For me, it was sophomore year that was basically a complete fail. I failed one class all year, Chemistry, with a D+ and failed the first semesters of both Algebra II and AP Modern World History. Junior year I retook all those classes and passed them with A's and B's. Now, my reason for failure was definitely not for lack of intelligence because believe me, I was that skilled smart student. The problem was more because of my immaturity and lack of understanding how gravely any choice I made then affected my future now. I was extremely lazy and simply did not care. I used to put the PRO in PROcrastination! I was also on the verge of quitting AVID which was the only real helpful class in which I benefited and acquired multiple academic skills that I still utilize today. However, I am so glad I never did. 
     Anyways, I did not get my things together until Junior year and by then as many of you have realized it was far too late since colleges calculate our grade point average through our sophomore and junior years. Which brings me to my next point, I find it terrible that we as students are only judged based off our test scores because these honestly do not reflect our true persona. Students are not evaluated on personality or social skills and interactions with human beings which actually matters greatly in the world because we are constantly dealing with humans and there will be no way to isolate ourselves from them if we expect to live in this country then we will be forced to engage in society. However, the way college admissions decide to choose their students is ineffective but it will soon be their loss for missing out on amazing, well-balanced, creative, wise, life-changing students.  

No comments:

Post a Comment