Monday, June 2, 2014

Is school really providing the education they should be?

I am currently eating ice cream at one in the morning on a Sunday night watching one of my best friends, LC, sleep because she has decided to take a 30 minute nap and told me to awake her in 30 minutes time in order for her to return to her homework. It is one in the morning and unfortunately we have school tomorrow. No teenager should involuntarily be awake at these hours on a school night. This is normal for me and it is the usual time I go to sleep because of the numerous times I close at work and by the time I bathe and attempt to do homework, but for someone with free time it is not so normal. I now begin to wonder if this is all worth it, what school is "preparing" us to do with the rest of our lives because I am sure no student wants to do this that we are doing right now, unless it had a real point to it. What is the point of homework (which is suppose to be a type of exercise to prepare us for our future desires and goals in life) if we are not already doing the things that make us happy? My goal is not to criticize the school system, well sort of, but mainly to help everyone realize something much more important- the way we choose to teach. I say 'choose to' because each and every single individual has the power to teach in a way that is personal to them and different from all the rest. This is exactly what my intellectual teacher has been trying to get across and I know most of the students understand it but the staff, teachers, school board etc. most likely never will understand it because they will continue to follow the traditional ways of "teaching" which have failed in inspiring students in this era, the majority of the time. I cannot wait to grow and change the system as I do so. And the worst part is, my ice cream has melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment