Friday, November 1, 2013

Filter Bubbles!

I had no idea this was going on at all. I had always thought that there absolutely no possible way for websites to know who you were exactly through a computer and track your common interests and completely change the search results from someone sitting right next to me. Well this makes me think: Am I receiving the correct information or is it being modified? It makes me realize that we really have no way of knowing exactly what source provides the best information etc. The Internet is no longer safe and flowing cyber space, but feels more like a government tracking device about our personal lives that we are constantly unaware of. For cheap service, we pay cheap money. It now makes sense why we don't have to pay a cent for google and Facebook and Instagram etc! This was a question I had always pondered yet never took the time to do the research, and even IF I did, I am more than positive the information given to me would have false or strictly modified to their benefit. I guess the only way we could improve the effectiveness of our searches would be to switch search engines to ones that do not track you personally, if possible, since these websites' goals are to locate our common interests. This was absolutely fascinating yet, it doesn't surprise me when I see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment