Sunday, February 16, 2014

WELCOME TO THE INTERDISCIPLINARITY

My field of study is to help others, strictly deriving from my chosen major- sociology and psychology two of which are very rarely studied in any high school classroom, therefore, making it very difficult to give background information on. The subjects taught at school that I do feel may have a somewhat correlation with my field of inquiry could quite possibly be English, History and Art. Since my field of study involves much emotion and mental processes, it is from these three that I have managed to gain something from. Especially with English, this subject encourages us to seek our inner spirit and speak the truth of what we feel, think and believe through the usage of words as our form of expression. It was during an English class sophomore year that I discovered my life's vocation. To prepare and be able to predict for the future, we first must be able to understand the past. This is where history plays in. If we do not understand why certain people made certain choices that could have caused either great tragedy or triumph, then we will never understand one of the most important things on the planet- the way humans think and why they made the choices they made. And finally, Art. This subject is undervalued at school and although it may be difficult to appreciate if you have absolutely no artistic ability other than creativity such as myself, it can play an important role in your everyday school life. Art helps us express ourselves in ways that cannot be written or perhaps explained concretely but through images and symbols while simultaneously allowing us to escape mentally and give our souls the freedom it deserves, and this is healthy. Other than English, History and Art, I cannot think of any more basic general common subjects that would be beneficial to my field of study that all students are required to take in high school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment