Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Struggle of Senior Year

     I have been contemplating Senior year for the longest time-well this entire second semester. What about it exactly? The term we all familiarize ourselves with as "senioritis." We use this as an excuse for not doing our homework, for not caring about our responsibilities because we would much rather relax and live in the moment and not think about the future and its consequences, I know this from this experience and because I do this myself literally ALL THE TIME. I still somehow manage to get my work done and 90% of it on time and that is usually all that matters to me. But I have noticed that as the end of the year approaches, it has just gotten worse. Not just with myself but also with others. My peers are experiencing the exact same struggle and we all have mutual feelings towards it because we are all living it and seem to understand it or much rather accept it. 
     Life is finally hitting us at the age of 17, many soon 18, and we are realizing that soon we will not be able to continue living as kids or without responsibilities as we pretty much have been all our lives. Soon we will be on our own without our parents or legal guardians and we just do not wish to deal with it yet so we decide that our last year as either legal children or dependents should be spend having fun or making wrong decisions. That is my logic. We are young dumb and feel like we have life at our fingertips and want to enjoy it because for some reason we feel like it is almost over when in reality we have a long way to go. We want to enjoy our youth and do all the things we are not suppose to while still not falling too behind to the point of messing up the course of our plans for the future, next year. 
     However, I am proud of many of my peers for not giving up and although they have been screwing around like me for the most part, they are still getting their work done and doing amazing things. I guess this is just another stage for us to practice balancing our responsibilities with what we really want to do. The key to life is balance and although many of us have not yet learned that, the time will come and it is all part of growing up from the children many of us still are to young adults. Sometimes, I just wish teachers or parents would understand this since I am sure many of them experiences it themselves. Parents also tend to treat us more like children as we get older out of pure fear and yet still expect you to act like an adult but that just confuses their son or daughter even more. The best of luck to all my Seniors and continue to do the great things you are already doing and balance the choice of having fun properly! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment